< PAGE 1 > < PAGE 2 >
History: ex A. K. Davis; Christie’s 11th Dec 1990 realised £60; Grosvenor November 2016 lot 200 est. £250-300
50. 1901 (Sep 20) Envelope sent registered from London to Pretoria, Transvaal, with 4d and 1s green and carmine tied by “REGISTERED/LOTHBURY” cds, the letter opened by censor and with pink ‘OHMS’ “Opened under Martial Law.” label tied by triangular Pretoria censor handstamp, unusual and very scarce.
History: Grosvenor 25th May 2004 lot 1693 realised £320
51. 1901 (Sep 28) Registered envelope (size F) sent insured from Ludgate Circus London to Berlin (Germany). The letter was insured for a value of up to 3’000 francs or 120 pounds. For letters going abroad, the insurance fee was 5d for the first 12 pounds. This included the registration fee of 2d. Each further insured amount of 12 pounds cost 2 1/2d extra. Accordingly 2s 3 1/2d insurance plus registration was paid by the franking on the reverse. The 5d on the front paid the for a double rate letter to Germany. Obviously the postal clerk forgot about the 2d fee paid by the registered envelope.
History: ex Ingo Susemihl
52. 1901 (Oct 9) 1d letter card uprated with Jubilee 2d and 1s green & carmine, SG 200 and SG 214, registered to a passenger on board the RMS Teutonic at Queenstown, the stamps and card all cancelled “K48” (London & Holyhead TPO) with “London & Holyhead / United States Mail / TPO” cds alongside.
History: Sandafayre May 2015 lot 8377 realised £600
History: Christie’s 17th Dec 1996 lot 232 realised £287; Argyll Etkin 4th October 2013, lot 526, realised £320+17%; For sale by Martin Townsend for £675
History: For sale by KC Philatelics for £590
55. 1901 (Oct 16) Registered envelope from Waterloo Road (London) to Vienna, with 1s green and carmine and 3d, Envelope has been weakened by central vertical crease, the 1s with slight creasing and perfin.
History: Sold on ebay by David Shaw’s Old Letters for in December 2011 for £189.00
56. 1901 (Oct 18) Envelope sent express from Harwich to Stowmarket, with 1s green and carmine, 2 1/2d, 1d and 1/2d green. The express service cost 3d for each mile which the messenger had to travel from the post office nearest to the final destination to the adressee’s house. The 1d covers the letter rate, the extra 1s 3d paid for the 5 miles between Stowmarket and Wetherden.
History: ex Gero Schmitz Le Hanne
History: Grosvenor 31st Jan 2001 lot 265 est.£150; Spink Jan 23rd 2013 lot 2968 est. £200-250 (unsold); For sale by Samwells Ltd for £225
58. 1901 (Nov 13) Envelope from Newport to the USA with 1900 1s green & carmine and 1/2d green tied by Newport “561” duplex [scan of reverse]
History: For sale by Devlan Kruk for £350 (July 2016)
History: ex H. Kleinke; For sale by Samwells Ltd for £225 (April 2015)
History: ex Brauers; Spink Jan 23rd 2013 lot 2967 sold for £580+20%; for sale by Stanley Gibbons for £650
History: Phillips 13th Apr 1989 lot 607 realised £320
History: ex Bullock
History: For sale by Andrew Lajer for £875
65. 1901 (Dec 20) Registered envelope to Germany sent insured for £31 with 1s green and carmine and 1d lilac tied by Summerland St. / Barnstaple cds, reverse with Kiel arrival cds
History: Sold for £200 on eBay.com in Sep 2016
History: Grosvenor 19th Nov 2007 lot 388 realised £1’000+20%; ex Severn (David Feldman 13th Apr 2010 lot 20313 est.€500 (unsold))
67. 1901 (Dec 24) Envelope sent registered to Dorking franked 1½d. to 10d., 1900 ½d. blue-green, 1/- green and carmine and 1881 1d. (12 values), neat oval Lombard St. cancellations and with late fee 4d handstamp, arrival d.s. on reverse; some minor staining
History: Spink Nov 2014 lot 2391 sold for £700 plus commission
History: Sold on ebay by BygonesofBridlington, Oct 2012, for £430.95
History: ex A. K. Davis; ex Severn (David Feldman 18th Nov 2010 lot 40237 realised €500)
History: ex L. Janssen; Sold on eBay for £407.99, 26th Aug 2014
History: ex S. Sayer
72. 1902 (Feb 22) Envelope sent express from a station (not identifiable) along the line terminating at Paddington Station, to Lowndes Square. The 2d Great Western Railway stamp paid for the transport of the letter on the train to Paddington. The 1s paid the express delivery on a Sunday
History: ex D. Y. Meschter
73. 1902 (Mar 12) Registered envelope (RP23 Size G) sent locally in London bearing 1900 1s green & carmine, paying insurance fee of 1s1d (as endorsed) and 1d postage, tied by Gracechurch St. registered oval ds, Deutsche Bank perfin with accompanying wax seal and hs on reverse, fine
History: ex A. K. Davis; ex Severn (David Feldman 13th Apr 2010 lot 20306 realised €320)
74. 1902 (Mar 25) Envelope from Manchester to France with 1s green and carmine and four KEVII 2 1/2d tied by registered Manchester oval ds (scan of reverse)
History: Cavendish Dec 6th 2017 ex lot 2126, realised £480 plus commission
History: ex V. J. Sussex; Cavendish 6th Mar 2002 ex lot 231
76. 1902 (Apr 8) Registered book post envelope sent from Birmingham to Flemington N.J (USA) with 1s green and carmine and 10d
History: Cavendish 13th Jun 1992 lot 487 est.£100
History: For sale by emartenet for £125 on eBay (Jan 2016)
History: ex G. Jessop
History: For sale by Samwells
History: Harmers of London 8th Oct 1997 lot 86 est.£300 (unsold)
82. 1902 (Sep 18) From Leeds to Smyrna
83. 1904 (Oct 26) Registered envelope from Walmer to London with 1s green & carmine and KEVII 1d scarlet tied by Walmer cds, paying the 1d basic postage for up to 4oz and 1s 2d thirteenth step registration for £110-£120 insurance (the then maximum).
History: Sold on eBay by BygonesofBridlington, Oct 2012, for £638.29
History: Cavendish 12th Mar 1999 lot 200 est.£1’000
< PAGE 1 > < PAGE 2 >